Monday, November 7, 2011

Soups On!!.... All week!!

It's been a long time since I've done a recipe post. With the weather turning cold and the sun going down earlier we seem to be hunkering down and going for some warm comfort foods. I figured this recipe is worth sharing with the 2 or 3 of you who stop by to read this blog every once in a while.

But let me start out by saying this...


I am a list maker. I make lists for everything. I love lists. Lists keep me organized. They keep me on task. And I love the feeling of accomplishment when I get to cross something off my list. I may be a bit obsessive-compulsive but if I have already accomplished a task before making my list I will even write down that task just so I can cross it off. I think it's good to see in black and white the things you need to and CAN accomplish in a day if you just stay focused.


I especially, 100%, and without exception HAVE to have a list made when I go grocery shopping. I sit down, plan out my menus, scan the fridge and pantry for needed items, and happily make my list. I feel out of control if I just haphazardly throw things in the cart. I feel scattered, confused, and to be honest... a little dirty. I know. Crazy, right? I think my husband appreciates the organized me but thinks my list habit is a bit silly. The few times I've done my shopping his way and shopped without a list I ended up spending more money than necessary, forgot items that I needed, and ended up with things in the pantry that I'm pretty sure are still in there.

Well, this morning he actually sat down with me to make my weekly menu. I gladly welcomed his input on our family dining plan. He totally got caught up perusing the cookbooks for ideas and before either of us knew it he had the pen and paper and HE was making the list. He came up with the brilliant idea of having soup all.... Week.... Long. It took me a few minutes to hop on board with the idea. I didn't want to get bored in the kitchen thus lowering the quality of food coming to the table. And I certainly did not want to hear the whiny complaints of my children (who are good eaters) about having soup, yet again. But I caught the vision and we came up with some soups that are different enough that we won't bore our palates and I am looking forward to a week of easy meals that I think my family will love.


Tonight's soup is Kielbasa and Kale Soup. I found the recipe when I was pregnant with Mercedes in a Fit Pregnancy magazine and it's been a favorite ever since. It might sound like a strange combination but it is yummy. Even my kids like it. It's a broth-based soup and so super healthy. The least healthy thing in there is possibly the Kielbasa but I use Healthy Choice's brand since it has less fat. It is so easy to throw together and you can actually SEE how healthy it is. (Did I mention how yummy and healthy this soup is?) For those of you who actually try this out, come back and let me know how you like it. I won't be offended one way or another. Here it is:





1 large onion, chopped



6 cups low sodium chicken broth



2 lb. sweet potatoes or yams (scrubbed and diced)



1 (14 oz) pkg. low fat Kielbasa, sliced



3/4 lb. kale, stems trimmed and leaves coarsely chopoped






Coat a large soup pot with nonstick spray. Add onion and saute over med-high heat, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.






BON APETITE!!!

6 comments:

Stefani said...

I'm totally going to make this!
I love that you make lists. I'm a list maker too. I think I get it from my mom. I agree, they totally help.

Meg said...

you have to make ina garten's roasted tomato and basil soup. Add 1 red bell pepper and a little half and half. Oh, and blend it. Ina garten leaves it chunky, but blend, baby blend! It's so good we've been making it once a week since summer!

Annette said...

Can't wait to try this! Thanks for taking the time to share it Tiff. Meg, I'm trying yours too. Yum!

marie said...

I am a list maker too (and have been known to add things that I've already done just to cross them off, your in good company sister). I am so impressed your kids like this. My kids love soup but only when all the veggies are teeny tiny.

I stick to a list when grocery shopping but always leave room for a little something extra (ice cream anyone?).

Tiffiny said...

Marie--
Don't let the picture fool you. As the soup cooks the veggies wilt and get smaller. I just loved the colors of the fresh veggies being added in and had to snap a shot.

Kari said...

Funny. I just had the same thought today of having soup every day this week. I guess great minds think alike! (I put my things on my lists so I can cross them off too...)